Below are a few selections of the policies of the Karl Miles LeCompte Memorial Library. If you wish to read the entire policy, please request a policy book from the library director.
A. Borrowers’ Responsibilities and Eligibility
1. Wayne county residents are eligible for library cards upon completion of an application. Proof of residency documentation may include but is not limited to a physical address, a telephone number and photo identification.
3. Children under the age of 16 must have a parent or a guardian’s written consent to obtain a library card. Responsibility for the child’s selection and return of materials, and any fines or charges accrued on a child’s card, is that of the parent or guardian of the child.
4. A borrower will be responsible for returning materials within the allotted time. If damage or loss occurs, the borrower will be responsible for replacement costs. If a borrower does not return materials in a timely manner, or if damages have not been taken care of, eligibility to check out materials may be denied.
1. The loan period will be 2 weeks for all materials. Materials may be renewed for another 2-week period if the material has not been placed on hold or reserved for another patron.
2. All materials may be renewed by telephone or in person. Books, magazines, videos and audios may be held in reserve upon request. The requestor will be notified by phone, e-mail or postcard when the item is available. If the item is not claimed within five library days after the notification, it will be given to the next patron on the reserve list or returned to general circulation.
2. Fines will be charged in the amount of 5 cents per day for each overdue item. For example, if you have two overdue books, the charge would be 10 cents each day.
D. Confidentiality of Records: All records of materials checked out will be kept confidential.
E. Interlibrary loan services. Interlibrary loan services are available to all responsible patrons through SILO (State of Iowa Libraries Online) or OCLC-First Search by request to the librarian. Patrons using these services will be charged a $3.00 fee to cover return postage. The circulation and renewal periods are set by the lending library.
Reviewed / Approved: 1/9/2019
Collection Development Policy
The purpose of the Karl Miles LeCompte Memorial Library is to serve the community by providing for its literary informational and recreational needs. To fulfill this purpose, the Library acquires, makes available and encourages the use of the materials in all media for the enlightenment and enjoyment of members of its community of all ages and levels of ability and interest. The LeCompte Memorial Library subscribes to the Library Bill of Rights (copy attached) as adopted by the American Library Association. The Library furnishes materials for loan, provides resources for research in the library building and provides access to worldwide databases through the interest.
B.Criteria for selection of library material.
- Selection of books and other library materials shall be made on the basis of their value of interest, information, and enlightenment of all people of the community.
- Materials must satisfy the basic criteria of excellence and social significance. Best sellers are considered on individual merits. Novels that have no merit except as entertainment and are available elsewhere at low cost will not be purchased when funds are limited.
- Selection of materials may be limited by the need for additional material in the existing collection, suitability of the format for library purposes, and budgetary considerations.
- Recommendations and requests from patrons are given consideration.
- The library welcomes gifts. Cash gifts may be used for books, library expenses, programs or special needs. Gifts of money for the purchase of books and materials as memorials are welcomed. Books purchased on this basis will be appropriately identified. All other gifts are subject to the discretion of the librarian and the Board.
Approved January 2018
Meeting Room Policy
The purpose of the Karl Miles LeCompte Memorial Library Meeting Room is to provide space for library programs and events. When the room is not being used for these purposes, the room will be available to community groups, non-profit organizations, and private parties on a first come, first served basis.
It is free to rent the room; however, the library reserves the right to assess a clean-up fee if necessary. Free will donation accepted.
Arrangements may be made by coming into the library reading and signing an agreement. To check for availability please call 641-872-1621.
The recommended occupancy of the meeting room is up to 30 people. The meeting room may be reserved up to 30 days in advance and users may hold no more than two meetings per month.
The meeting room is available during regular library hours. Outside of library hours will be considered on a case by case basis.
No admission may be charged for programs held in the meeting room.
Food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in the meeting room. All refreshments are to be provided by the user. Users are responsible for the clean-up and hauling away of trash.